Cook Home Construction

The purpose of this blog is to share our home construction experience with our family and friends. Glad you stopped by! Check back frequently, as we plan to keep this updated as a journal of our progress.

Monday, June 26, 2006

Experiences in home building!




We are continuing to learn soooo much about home building! For example, last Monday night (one week ago) Dwayne painted this sign and put it in the exact location that we wanted the rock to be dumped (which happened to be the center of the basement.) Tuesday night we went to the site prepared to spread out the rock in the basement. To our surprise, the driver had dumped the rock right at the top of the driveway. Mind you, this was twenty TONS of rock we are talking about! Needless to say, Dwayne was highly upset and called for more rock, explaining to the dispatcher what had happend and where exactly he wanted the rock placed, explaining that the driver would need to drive past the first load of misplaced rock and around the ramp to the basement where he would plainly see the ROCK sign. Much to our suprise, Wed. evening we went to the site to spread rock and there was the second twenty tons of rock about 30 feet past the first pile of rock and nowhere near the basement! Unbelievable! Now we had forty tons of rock in places we didn't want it and no rock where we did! SOOO, after an earful from Dwayne and specific instructions for the driver not to dump the rock without Dwayne or I present, we hesitantly ordered another twenty tons. I briefed the kids on the situation and waited for the call to run out to meet the driver. Sooner than expected it came and out the door we went, not even giving Jonathan time to put his pants on! I told the kids to move quickly to the car as these drivers could not be trusted to wait on us to dump the rock. We wouldn't be gone that long I said, we just need to show the driver exactly where we need the rock to go. Little did I know!!! We sped to the property with visions in my head of a third rock pile being placed on near the portable garage and a husband who now had permanent veins bulging out of his head. So you can imagine I breathed a big sign of relief when I saw the truck waiting on me. The driver was very nice and explained that he would be bringing the next two loads of rock as well so I would be able to show hime where to dump and go back home (we needed three, so we had two more coming to replace the two that had been wrongly placed). I smiled and thanked him and told him we would watch him dump the first load so Jonathan could watch the truck work and jumped back in the car. He quickly drove down the ramp where he proceeded to quickly get stuck in the mud!!!! "Would you like me to dump it here?", he asked. I thought he must be joking and ignorantly laughed along. "No way, Dwayne will go ballistic!", I said, still not realizing he was serious!! Once I realized he wasn't joking I quickly called Dwayne, then the dispatch. She assured me that the driver was not joking and that our only two options were to dump the rock where the driver was stuck or call a tow truck to come and pull him out at the additional cost of $200.00!!!! So two hours later, the kids (Jonathan still had no pants on!) and I watched in disbelief as the driver dumped ANOTHER 20 tons of rock where we didn't want it! Now we had a total of 66 TONS of rock right no where near Dwayne's beautifully painted rock sign!!!! Thank goodness Bill Jones was able to bring a Bobcat out and move all the rock! We could laugh about it by Sunday, but Friday afternoon it wasn't too funny!!!!

1 Comments:

At 12:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's exciting to see the progress since I last checked! I hope that you're able to focus on the progress and put the (I'm sure many) frustrations behind you!!
Continued good luck.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home